Media: Court bid to evict Delft dwellers postponed

3 09 2009

September 03 2009 , 11:33:00 – SABC News

The City of Cape Town’s application to evict a group of pavement dwellers in Delft has been postponed to October 7. The application was supposed to be heard in the Western Cape High Court this morning, but the group failed to file answering papers in time.

Human Settlements Minister Tokyo Sexwale recently visited informal settlements in Cape Town. Accompanied by his ministerial team, Sexwale interacted with residents in Joe Slovo and Delft settlements on a fact-finding mission to experience first hand the harsh living conditions of the country’s informal settlements. Sexwale said he wants to upgrade informal settlements as part of government’s commitment to improve living conditions in poor areas.

Spokesperson of the Anti-Eviction Campaign, Ashraf Cassiem, says this was due to their lack of legal representation. He says lawyers have since been appointed to represent the group.

They now have until September 19 of this month to respond. The group of 139 families is among those who were evicted from the N-2 Gateway houses in Delft in February last year. However, they refused to move to a temporary settlement and erected shelters on the pavement in Symphony Way.

Advertisements

Actions

Information




%d bloggers like this: