A lot has happened in AEC communities in the past week. Here are some links:
- April 22 – The Gugulethu Anti-Eviction Campaign staged a No Land! No House! No Vote! protest.
- April 22 – AEC communities such as Newfields Village, Symphony Way, Leiden, Athlone, Gugulethu, Crossroads refused to vote in this year’s elections.
- April 27 – Symphony Way AEC hosted the Anti-Eviction Campaign’s first annual un-Freedom Day with participation from four other Delft communities, residents of QQ Section in Khayelitsha, and the Gugulethu and Athlone AEC. The event included the following activities: soccer, netball, youth plays, discussions and a braai for all participants.
- April 27 – Abahlali baseMjondolo hosted the Western Cape AEC, the Landless People’s Movement and the Rural Network for a Poor People’s Alliance meeting (PPA meeting photos) and their 2009 un-Freedom Day event (photos). The Durban SAPS attempted to ban the gathering but were unable to do so.
- April 29 – Cape Town Community Housing Company (CTCHC) illegally evicted a Town Centre (Mitchell’s Plain) family and plans to evict many more. Call Johannes at 071-416-0250 for more information.
Upcoming AEC issues and events to follow:
- April 30 – Residents of Town Centre in Mitchell’s Plain will resist any eviction that takes place. Call Johannes at 071-416-0250 for more information about future actions. Press release on the situation to follow tomorrow night.
- April 30 (noon) – Gugulethu AEC surprise action this morning. Call Mncedisi at 078-580-8646 for more information.
- May 1 (daytime) – New AEC branch in Old Crossroads will hold a mass meeting Friday May 1. Call Mncedisi at 078-580-8646 for info, contact and directions.
- May 1 (evening) – Symphony Way AEC to host a karaoke benefit in Delft to raise funds for upcomming eviction case. Call Aunty Jane at 078 403 1302 or Mnce Plaajies at 079 305 1066 for information about the case and the benefit.