Friday 27 March 2009 Press release on behalf of Protea South Landless People’s Movement
Demand that Councilor Step Down!
- On 18 March youth organisers from the Protea South Landless People’s Movement (LPM) submitted written notification of their intent to march – to the Metro Centre to deliver a memorandum demanding that the local councilor step down – to the Johannesburg Metropolitan Police Department (JMPD).
- On 26 March they were notified by JMPD that permission was not granted for them to march as their notification was allegedly only received that day, and that LPM Protea South marches are allegedly too violent.
- Youth in Protea South feel that they cannot wait any longer to express their greivances, and have resolved to march to Metro Centre without official permission.
- They are currently gathering at Peace-Makers Grounds, Protea South, from where they will proceed – at 10h00 today, Friday 27 March – to Metro Centre to deliver their memorandum.
- All media are requested to come to witness and cover their march, and to discourage the police from resorting to excessive use of force and unwarranted repression of their constitutional right to freedom of expression and protest.
For more information contact:
Bongani, the LPM Youth Coordinator in Protea South, at: 071 043 2221