Media: Delft pavement dwellers to fight eviction

9 03 2009

3/9/2009 16:28:43
Source: The Citizen

CAPE TOWN – Families who have been living on the sidewalk of Symphony Way on the Cape Flats on Monday filed formal notices of opposition to a bid to evict them to temporary housing.

About 120 families were last week served with eviction notices on behalf of the City of Cape Town, which wants to shift them to a nearby transit area nicknamed Blikkiesdorp.
The families have been living on the sidewalk since they were evicted in February last year from homes meant for beneficiaries of the N2 Gateway housing project.

On Monday, a group of them, including children, made their way in searing heat to the Cape High Court, and handed in 91 notices of opposition.

The application is scheduled to come before the court on March 20.

A spokeswoman for the group, Jane Roberts, said they would not mind being evicted if it was to decent homes.

“We are on the housing waiting list, we do have subsidies, we have been pre-screened,” she said.

“All we want is to be owners of our own homes, and we’re not going to Blikkiesdorp.

“We can’t go from hokkie to hokkie.”

The residents earlier on Monday issued a media statement in which they said they were confident of winning the case because they were in possession of “the letter of instruction” from Democratic Alliance councillor Frank Martin telling them they could take over the Gateway houses.

Martin has since been hauled before a disciplinary committee of the council for the letter.

Anti-Eviction Campaign legal co-ordinator Ashraf Cassiem told Sapa the residents were collecting money to pay for lawyers to fight the council application.

The residents now have their own Wikipedia entry, under Symphony Way Pavement Dwellers.

Advertisements

Actions

Information




%d bloggers like this: