Media: Nonagenarian faces eviction, again

10 11 2008

Note: The Anti-Eviction Campaign successfully put 93 year old Nothemba Booysen back in her home.  She will not move all the way to Mitchell’s Plain where she will not have the help and support of her family.  She will stay where she is until the city confirms that the house is owned by her.  If helping old ladies from homelessness is controversial as the article below states, then let us be controversial!

By Nwabisa Msutwana-Stemela

November 10 2008 at 07:53AM

Source: Cape Argus

Tempers flared outside a Gugulethu home where a 93-year-old woman faces eviction for the second time this year because of a long-running dispute about ownership.

Red-shirted members of the deeply controversial Western Cape Anti-Eviction Campaign and community members last week gathered in support of Nothemba Booysen, who lives in the house with her niece Dora Booysen.

The women had received a letter from Sogwagwa Attorneys saying they had to go, but they were determined to resist the pressure.

The house, formerly a council house, has been home to the Booysen family since the 1970s. But in 1996 it appears to have been incorrectly registered by the municipality as belonging to the Mnyengeza family who lived next door, giving the Mnyengezas ownership of both houses.

While the Booysens were trying to rectify the matter with the municipality, the house was transferred to a person called Dwangu. Dora Booysen said she later discovered that their neighbour, Nondumiso Mnyengeza, had sold the house to Dwangu.

Earlier this year the Booysens were evicted, but the Anti-Eviction Campaign helped the two women move back in.

An angry Dora Booysen told Weekend Argus: “How can Nondumiso own two houses, and she does not even live here. She is renting the one next door to other people.

“Grandma does not understand what is happening. We are not moving out because this is my mother’s house.”

She was supported by Mncedisi Twalo of the Anti-Eviction Campaign who said: “The police and sheriffs should not even come here because we will burn their vans. We do not understand how the government can victimise poor people, where do they expect them to go?”

Two weeks ago the women received a second eviction letter from the attorneys, and also received a message from Mnyengeza saying they should go. Weekend Argus’s attempts to speak to Mnyengeza drew a blank.

Ward councillor Ntombende Landingwe said the Booysens had been offered alternative accommodation in Mitchells Plain while the matter was being investigated.

City of Cape Town spokesperson Charles Cooper said the housing department was investigating “this very complex matter”.

Advertisements

Actions

Information




%d bloggers like this: